Are you working on lab VMWare ESXi which has got 60 days trial license? At times, you realize that you are almost end of the trial and you wont be able to use ESXi anymore until you install a license. Well, you can reset the license and you can again use ESXi for next 60 days. And when the trial ends again, reset the license again.
Before we learn how to reset the license, i would like you to read the warning carefully.
WARNING: This is for education/informational testing/development purposes only. It should not be used on a production server.
WARNING: This trick will only work with an ESX(i) stand alone server. It will not work if the ESX(i) server is connected to a vCenter Server, as the vCenter Server knows better than to let you do this. (you can always remove and readd the ESX(i) server to vCenter.)
To reset the license, you need to first enable SSH on your ESXi Machine. If you are not sure how to enable SSH on ESXi, follow the article below –
- Once SSH is enabled, Launch Putty and SSH to ESXi Server
- Type the following command:
rm /etc/vmware/vmware.lic —> This command will remove vmware.lic file
rm /etc/vmware/license.cfg —> This command will remove license.cfg file
ls /etc/vmware/ —> This command will list all the files present in the directory /etc/vmware/ . Make sure that vmware.lic and license.cfg is not present
reboot —> This command will reboot the ESXi server
- Once the ESXi is up, login to ESXi using Vsphere Client and you should be able to see “Your evaluation license will expire within 60 days!“
Hope this helps!
- Modifying License Mac on CUCM/CUC/UCCX/ - June 26, 2018
- CUCM, Cisco Unity Connection, UCCX Root Access - June 25, 2018
- Bypass CUCM or Cisco Unity Connection hardware check - June 21, 2018
- Differentiate between Restricted CUCM and Unrestricted CUCM - March 12, 2018
- Re-enable debugs on router reload – EEM Script - March 12, 2018
- Configure Cisco CUBE SIP Options Ping - January 30, 2018
- Unified Messaging with Cisco Unity Connection & Office 365 - January 4, 2018
- Transfer/Hold/Conf Buttons Not Working – Cisco 78XX IP Phone - November 20, 2017
- Track Media Resource (Transcoder) Utilization via RTMT - November 15, 2017
- Installation & Configuration of Expressway C & E – MRA - September 17, 2017