Running VMWare ESXi 60 days trial license? Reset the license
Are you working on lab VMWare ESXi which has got 60 days trial license? At times, you realize that you are almost end of the trial and you wont be able to use ESXi anymore until you install a license. Well, you can reset the license and you can again use ESXi for next 60 days. And when the trial ends again, reset the license again.
Before we learn how to reset the license, i would like you to read the warning carefully.
WARNING: This is for education/informational testing/development purposes only. It should not be used on a production server.
WARNING: This trick will only work with an ESX(i) stand alone server. It will not work if the ESX(i) server is connected to a vCenter Server, as the vCenter Server knows better than to let you do this. (you can always remove and readd the ESX(i) server to vCenter.)
To reset the license, you need to first enable SSH on your ESXi Machine. If you are not sure how to enable SSH on ESXi, follow the article below –
- Once SSH is enabled, Launch Putty and SSH to ESXi Server
- Type the following command:
rm /etc/vmware/vmware.lic —> This command will remove vmware.lic file
rm /etc/vmware/license.cfg —> This command will remove license.cfg file
ls /etc/vmware/ —> This command will list all the files present in the directory /etc/vmware/ . Make sure that vmware.lic and license.cfg is not present
reboot —> This command will reboot the ESXi server
- Once the ESXi is up, login to ESXi using Vsphere Client and you should be able to see “Your evaluation license will expire within 60 days!“
Hope this helps!
- Cisco Jabber Auto Discovery Service – SRV Records - July 15, 2017
- Running VMWare ESXi 60 days trial license? Reset the license - July 15, 2017
- Cisco Expressway C and E – Banner MOTD - July 14, 2017
- How to collect packet capture from Cisco IP Phone - July 5, 2017
- Cluster ID Change – Cisco Unified Communications Manager - June 7, 2017
- Cisco CME – Drop Conference when initiator Disconnects - June 7, 2017
- Python Script to Extract Call Record from Cisco CDR - June 3, 2017
- Installing Enghouse ARC Enterprise Premium on Windows Server - April 23, 2017
- Find Jabber Chat History Location and Read Chat - March 27, 2017
- Step by Step Cisco IM & Presence Configuration - March 26, 2017